Giles is a Principal of Fairfax Associates and has more than 20 years' experience advising professional services firms - working with a number of the largest international practices as well as a wide range of mid-sized and smaller domestic firms. He is based in London and has worked extensively in the United Kingdom, across Europe and in the United States.
His work focuses on assisting firms with formulation and implementation of strategy; issues of ownership, management, organization, and governance; improvement of performance and profitability; growth and development, including domestic and international mergers; partner roles, appraisals, remuneration and profit sharing; client research, and business development. A consistent theme in his work is improving clients' competitiveness.
Previously, Giles was a Director of Hildebrandt (the legal management consultancy of Thomson Reuters) and for a number of years, headed the London office and European practice.
Giles is author of “Law Firm Mergers: Taking a Strategic Approach,” published by Palgrave Macmillan (2005).
Strategic planning and implementation
- Assists with strategy development at the levels of firms, offices and practices - both nationally and internationally
- Assesses the potential of new markets and sectors and determines entry strategies for new jurisdictions
- Supports all aspects of strategy implementation
- Conducts client interviews and assists firms in developing a comprehensive understanding of the needs and expectations of their existing and prospective clients
- Develops new and refined governance and operational models, including alternative business structures, which align with a firm’s strategy and needs.
- Assists with all aspects of mergers, including evaluating strategic options, identifying potential candidates, managing the merger process and due diligence
- Assists with merger integration, including firms’ governance, organizational structure, operations, performance assessment, and profit sharing
- Helps realize income growth opportunities, including cross-selling and integration of practices
Partner roles, performance management and compensation
- Defines partner roles so they are aligned with firm strategy
- Designs effective approaches to performance management, including appropriate performance metrics
- Develops and implements effective models of partner compensation - both nationally and internationally
Improving financial performance
- Supports clients in improving performance in areas such as the development of pricing strategies and novel pricing mechanisms, legal processes, project management, practice structure, and overall service delivery
- B.Sc. University of Warwick Business School, in Management Sciences
- M.Sc. (with distinction), University of Warwick Business School